October 18, 2009

Are You Serious?

Sometimes you have to defend The South as a whole. Sometimes you have to spend time convincing others that not everyone here is as ass-backward as the movies make them out to be.

Other times you just have to laugh, because all stereotypes come from somewhere.

Like this winner:


I made my aunt wait outside the grocery store for this guy to walk outside so I could get a picture. Yep, that's a guy. I sent the picture via cell phone to my mom, she called me and asked, "what is that?" My uncle had even seen the guy a couple days before. Know how he recognized him? He was wearing the exact same thing. What you can't see from this picture is the handlebar mustache, curled up on the ends, Snidely Whiplash style. Unreal.

And here's the second gem from my weekend:


Mhm. Two churches and some 'coon hunters. That would be raccoons (I hope), for those of you who don't speak Tennessee. My uncle says they meet weekly. Gotta stay on top of the cutting edge to catch those crafty raccoons. Side note: when my friend had raccoons in her attic, it took animal control a couple of hours and one big trap to get them out. Skillful hunting, no?

Tennessee, let's make a deal. I will attempt to defend you, my current state of residence. In return you must try to keep these kinds of things to a minimum. There's only so much I can explain away.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Haha! Oh my, that first pictures made me laugh! I constantly feel like I'm making deals like this with my state of residence. It's like, okay I'm defending the fact that every one and their momma wears pearls with EVERYTHING, I'm going to defend my University even though it wasn't my dream University, I'm going to defend big trucks because they are fun... Then, something happens (Bobby Jindal gets on national tv, Nagin screws ANOTHER thingup....etc) and I'm just like you know what?! I'm done defending you!

Of course, as long as I'm a resident of this state I will defend it....BUT as soon as I'm outta here I'm not doing this anymore. It just doesn't pay dividends. :-)

Little Ms Blogger said...

The guy in the first pic is right out of the pages of a fashion magazine.

I'm going to blow up the picture and get the hat and boots for my hubby - NOT!

The coon hunters sign me, I wonder if they eat what they kill?

Organic Meatbag said...

I know the feeling...I'm always, and I mean ALWAYS defending Kentucky from the stereotypical "no shoes hillbilly" bullshit...