October 01, 2009

Spoiled Girl - Part I (Atlanta)

Here's a recap of my crazy, 1,300-mile, spoiled-girl, weekend. We got back Tuesday. But like everything else in my life, I've been procrastinating. Better late than never? (Maybe that should be the title of my blog. Sidebar: It is very very very conflicting to be both a type-A, high anxiety person, and a professional-level procrastinator.)

Friday morning, 8am: Get up to run errands: Bank & Walmart. Thank God for Superstores or my errands would have taken four times as long.

Friday morning(ish), 11am: M picks me up & we run his errands.

Friday 12:30pm: We hit the road headed for the Westin, downtown Atlanta! My babe treats me right.

Friday 5(ish)pm: We arrive at hotel, check into our room on the 44th floor and take in the breathtaking view. From the window we can see our next stop, the Georgia Aquarium!

Friday Evening: I am beyond excited about this trip to the aquarium. Shark week is possibly my favorite week of the year. I was promised Whale Sharks and I can't WAIT to see them. They have four in a huge 'ocean' tank. Here's an incredible picture I took while we were there:


And another of us being silly:


After the aquarium we wander around centennial park for a little bit & check out what was going on at the Coke Museum - a Darius Rucker Concert! M learned the song "Alright" and has been singing it for me in a few of his shows lately. When it starts playing outside of the museum he said, "Ok, now we have to stay and listen!"

By this point we are starving. Dinner was Mexican, a favorite of ours, and right next to the hotel! Then we went back and change quickly. We walk a million miles to find some live music and were accosted by a few homeless people along the way (I got conned--well technically, I got M conned--out of 3 bucks. I've been out of the city way too long!). We hang out at a cool place in midtown called Publik and then head back to the room. We have another long day ahead of us!

(Check out how I got to end my night. Am I a lucky girl or what?)

Saturday 8:30am: Hit snooze.

Saturday 9:30am: Get up & shower. We have things to do!

Saturday Morning: I'm wondering where my coffee is, M needs some supplies (shorts, a mouth guard, socks) before his big rugby game! We take a quick driving tour of his Alma Mater, Emory & head over to his fraternity house. (Personally I was a good ole GDI in college.) The place is clean and the boys are nice, M's friend shows up & we're off to the intramural fields!

Saturday 2:30pm: The game starts just in time for a major downpour. I've seen a couple of games before, but I've never seen M play. It's hard to watch him get hit, mostly because I know: 1. He doesn't have health insurance, 2. He's going to hurt for a week afterwards, and 3. I have to pee so bad that once it starts raining ridiculously hard I'm debating how (in)conspicuous it would be if i just peed my pants and then let the rain do the cover-up work.

(that's M on the ground...)

Saturday 4:30pm: I tell M we have to go somewhere I can pee RIGHT NOW, or I'm going to die. I am not exaggerating. On the way out of the parking lot I see bathrooms. Not port-a-potties that I was desperately searching the sidelines for, but actual, concrete bathrooms. My exact words were, "Son of a bitch! Pull over, I can't wait."

Saturday Evening: The pain's starting to set in for M, the hunger's starting to set in for me. We hang out at the after party for a little while, and then, deciding we are too old for all this hoopla, get some gyros (which I hoover) & go back to the room to lay down. Our weekend is not over. We have another early morning ahead of us. (See Part II)

No comments: