August 14, 2009

She's With the Band

I'm not a particularly jealous girlfriend. Yes, I get those pangs when other girls hover around M, but I really think they come from a different place. I worry from time to time that I'm not quite enough, that a better girl will come along and that will be it. This is a totally irrational worry (as most of mine are). Not because I'm the perfect girl (this is for SURE not true), but because he reassures me constantly, with words and actions, that he's not looking for anything else.

Part of why I get to have these moments of inadequacy more often is because of M's chosen profession. He plays in a band. They're awesome, by the way (www.homemadewinemusic.com). But the girls. I had some great friends from college who play in a band. We always used to go out to see them play and make fun of the college girls who threw themselves at the stage. This is even better. I go to about 2/3rds of the shows they play here in town, and I can spot an interested girl from a mile away. "HE'S cute," they shout to their friends above the din. Then they make their way over to dance right in front of him and make mooney eyes up at him. Now, he's not the only one that gets individual attention. Each of them have their own obsessed fans. But in the case of M in particular, I want to say, "waste of time, girls. I tried that tactic for moooonths before he finally noticed me. Oh, wait, what I meant to say was, he has a girlfriend..."

All this being said, I do understand that part of being a successful band is working a crowd. Part of working a crowd full of women is leaving the suggestion that they could get somewhere. We've had this conversation before. The one where he assures me (without prompt) that while the first words out of his mouth might not be, "I have a girlfriend" (duh, how weird would that be? Those aren't the first words out of my mouth when I meet a guy either), he knows--as any great boyfriend does--where to draw the line. So, as long as the girls keep dropping a couple of dollars in the tip bucket, I won't say a word. Those tips take me out on dates ;).

No comments: